Sell More Beats Online

Buy Beats Now! Major Music ENT!

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Vocals!


This is John from djprosperity.com. In this post I want to focus on your vocal recordings. The vocal is often the most important instrument (if you will) in the song, so it's imperative to make sure that you've got it recorded properly. Every time I receive a session from an artist to mix, I listen through the song to determine what instrument drives the song. Sometimes it's the kick, sometimes it's the bass, but most often it's the vocal. So here's a few tips for recording your vocals:

1. Record multiple takes:

When I record vocals I will ask the artist to re-record the take again (sometimes several times). I do this, not because the artist messed something up, but so that I can comp the vocals playlists together (in other words I will compile the best parts of each take to create a "good" vocal track) to create the best take possible. You see you never record another take the same exact way, there are subtle differences (inflection on certain words or phrases) that make all the difference.
Vocal Playlists for comping a vocal take

2. Use proper mic techniques:

Most artists know this if they've been recording for any length of time but you have to "work" the mic. If you're singing a ballad and you have to belt out a big note, take a step back, this helps avoid clipping issues and enhances your recording. The microphone (especially a good one) will pick you up just fine and you won't be stressing its diaphragm.

In addition to this technique I would recommend using any rolloff (a predetermined or fixed filter setting where frequencies "roll off" or drop off) the microphone has to offer when recording vocals. This can limit the amount of EQ (equalization) needed in the mixing stage and will help the vocal sit better in the mix.
Condenser mic with rolloff

3. Use effects sparingly:

When recording, artists often like to use reverbdelay, (time-based effects) or some compression (dynamic effect) on their voice. I would caution you to use these effects sparingly because what might sound good by itself might not necessarily sound good collectively and over-processed vocals can be detrimental to a mix. Too much reverb, compression, delay, etc. can actually murk up your sound and be hazardous to your overall recording. There is a term used quite often that says: "fix it in the mix", well as an Audio Engineer I will tell you that it's better to fix it in the recording stage. A better sounding recording will always ensure a better sounding mix.
Compression
Reverb
4. Minimize your room:

What I mean by this is to minimize the effects that your room has on your recordings. Your recording environment can directly effect the quality of your recordings. There are several solutions out there to enhance your recordings while taming your environment. We all don't have studios but we can make it sound like we do! Some of the ways you can do this is by using some acoustical foam, diffusion panels, or even a device known as a "Reflexion" filter.

The Diffusion panels will breakup the sound to help prevent standing waves (or a dropout spot in your room where two waveforms are canceling each other out).
Diffusion Panel


The acoustic foam will absorb reflections from the diffusion panels and various surfaces within your room.
Acoustic Foam
The Reflexion filter will help prevent early reflections (sounds that have been reflected off of surfaces such as walls, ceilings, floors, etc. and back into the microphone) from hitting your microphone and muddying your sound.
Reflexion Filter

There you have it. You have now been armed with some serious ammunition to help your recordings! These are just a few tips to help you but they are necessary and I hope you find them as useful as I do. Times have changed and home studios are more prevalent now more than ever. Our goal is to make beautiful music and knowledge is power. Now you can shout with me: "I HAVE THE POWER!" How many of you said that in your He-man voice? I know I did (LOL).

Please feel free to SUBSCRIBE to my blog and/or comment. Also, visit my website: www.djprosperity.com (there you can click the icons to follow me on facebook, twitter, etc.) and sign the Guestbook on the "Contact" page. I would be more than happy to help you with any of your audio needs or questions that you might have. God Bless and see you next post!



About Me:
I am a certified Audio Engineer and owner/operator of a website called djprosperity.com. I received my education in Audio Recording and Production from The Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences in Tempe Arizona. I have worked for Sweetwater Sounds in Fort Wayne, Indiana, as a Sales Engineer after interning in their recording studios. If you'd like to know more about me or would like my help with your projects, please visit my website and contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment